Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Ahhh...the Holidays are Here

Yesterday the school bus pulled up to the curb in front of our house.  The door opened and my two little gentlemen stepped down the three stairs and off the bus.  Their bus driver waived to me.  "Have a great weekend!" she said.

Thanksgiving is one day away.  We have a busier than usual holiday planned this year.  With our family living on the far north side an we living on the far south side of the country, family get-togethers and visits are far and few between.  However, this year we have been invited to feast with friends here in Texas for Thanksgiving, and we will be flying back to Wisconsin for Christmas.  All this to say, my mind is quite possibly "busier" than what is typical.

This morning my alarm went off at 5:50am.  Ten minutes left to snooze.  The boys' bus arrives at 6:45 to pick them up for school each day.  Sigh...5:54am.  Six minutes left.  Pray quickly...I've got to...so much to accomplish today.  Last day of school before the Thanksgiving holiday.  And who are we kidding?  Once Thanksgiving hits, Christmas becomes a blur and we are already into a new year!  6:08am.  I must have fallen asleep and slept through my alarm!  Grrr...OK, here we go!  Get the boys up. Noah is dragging, and Judah is such a grumpy bear!  Go to the bathroom. Judah is like a rag doll as I try to get him dressed.  "C'mon, work with me, Judah."  Left to get himself dressed with as little help as possible, we would be here until 9am!   Get them dressed.  Feed them breakfast.  Make their lunches.  Give Judah his seizure medication.  That's always a battle.  Get their socks and shoes on.  6:44am.  Bus is running late.  That's alright.  It will give me time to catch my breath.  Neil is in San Antonio, so I fly solo three days a weeks.  I miss him when he is gone.  6:46am.  Whew!  We made it!  I am waiting outside for the bus with Judah, and Noah is waiting upstairs as he playing with my cell phone.

Waiting.  6:48am.  Not usually this late, but sometimes it happens.  As I am sitting on the stoop with Judah on my lap waiting for the school bus to come, I am reviewing my "to do" list for the day.  Make a pumpkin cake roll for tomorrow, clean the carpets and upholstery, finish the laundry, and tie up any loose ends for Camp Grace, a Christmas event for families who have children with special needs.  Fortunately, there is a small team of us working on Camp Grace.  I love it!  6:55am.  Where is their bus?!

Then it dawns on me...

Yesterday the bus driver said, "have a good weekend".  I thought she was taking an extra day off and someone else would take her place today.  It's happened before.  Today is Wednesday...oh, boy.  I quickly left Judah sitting on the stoop in front and ran inside the house to check the school calendar.  Another big sigh.  Sure enough...

Yep! The holidays are here...beginning today!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment